Blog email subscription
and the Internet - NUS
in Singapore - Meow
Naturalist - Mangroves
- Literature - Travel
Biology module blogs:
Biodiversity (Year 1)
Ecology (Year 3)
Structure & Function (Year 3)
Marine Biology (Year 4)
Natural History Blogs:
The Biology Refugia
Raffles Museum Toddycats
Intl Coastal Cleanup Singapore
Pulau Ubin Stories
Cycling in Singapore
Mac Meetup Singapore
Aboard the Götheborg
Zendogs/Wheels are Turning
Raffles Museum Toddycats!
Pasir Panjang Heritage
Raffles Museum Internship
Some of my kakis
Kakis at home
Ad & Jen
Inertia is a Sin
Halfway between the gutter and the stars
Lost in the Jungle
Dawn, Cat Welfare
Ling the Merciless
Philosophize Me Jelly
Alvin - Beijing, China:
* Alvin's spiel
Kevin - Buffalo, NY:
Theory is the Reason
Bonny - HCMC, Vietnam:
Jac - London, UK:
Jasmin - NY, NY:
The Worsted Witch
Marcus - Shanghai, China:
You only live once
Tse-Lynn - Wilmington, NC:
Musings of a barefoot traveller
Jani - Newcastle, UK:
Salted & Fried
The Ice Cream Gallery
The Unofficial Apple
The Daily Show
Made on a Mac with
Claris Home Page 3.0.
Blog engine: Samizdat,
based on PHPosxom,
based on Blosxom.
Updated with TextWrangler.
© N. Sivasothi, 2003
This work is licensed under a
Creative Commons License.
Cycling, macintosh, natural history and life in Singapore - Archives
List of Categories : travel * museum * cycling * Singapore Naturalist * science * kakis * mangroves * movies * mac and the internet * meow * NUS * life in Singapore * lit * world *
Thu 23 Dec 2004
Installing Mac OS X
Category : mac and the internet
I've carried out a clean reinstall of my operating system so many times this year, it's almost instinctive. I'll have to do this again soon, so here's a recap.
- Run the Install OS X programme.
- Customise - omit languages and printer drivers (install the critical few via downloads) to avoid bloatware and save time.
- Run the relevant Apple System X combo update (now at 10.3.7)
- Install Microsoft Office v.X 2004.
- Apply the relevant Microsoft Office updates; it will tend to itself until complete.
- Repair permissions.
- Logout, then login.
- Copy over from my backup hardisk, the Microsoft User Database and Projects folders into the Documents folder.
- Install Spam Sieve, as this is critical for stopping spam. Copy over the Spam Sieve folder (Library>Application Support) and the preferences file (Library>Preferences).
- Interarchy- an ftp client that provides ftp mirroring. Setup the ftp mirror for the Scratchbin where some data files needed for setting up are located.
- Bookit - this allows me to extract my old bookmarks (Scratchbin) and update and synchronise all the browsers.
- GmailStatus - keep tabs on mail that arrives to my gmail account by displaying a number on the menubar.
- Copy Paste X - stores multiple clipboards so you can cut and past away at ease. Great wheen extracting all those serial numbers. Can also extract URLs from pages etc.
- Copy over Documents backup
Shareware - Installing and register other shareware; go to web for downloads as these are the most updated versions. Extract the serial numbers data from my files.
- Quicksilver - when I type Cmd-space and the first few letters of an application, Quicksilver finds it and I can launch the application with the return key. It also works with bookmarks!
- Drag Thing - allows me to assign shortcut keys to applications, and a series of docks that can store applications and bookmarks; adds version numbers to apps, allowing an easy check when upgrading.
- Firefox - an alternate browser in which I can install the Amazon A9 toolbar with direct links to my bookmarks.
- Acid Search - provides drop-down alternative search engines in the google bar of Safari; critical for research of resources on the web.
- Thunderbird - alternative email when I want to access the IMAP server in NUS on days when Entourage has not been synched with my desktop at the office.
- SnapNDrag - a great screen capture utility.
- Dreamweaver (education version) - install this web page WYSIWYG editor.
- Graphic Converter - image editor and browser.
- iView Media Pro - for creating photos galleries and reviewing photos
- Stuffit - for compression/decompression of archives. OS X has a built in ZIP capability though, so its more for archiving documents.
- Rest of shareware - download as and when needed
- Run through Airport assistant if necessary.
- In the home network, add the MAC address of the airporrt card (airport ID) and WEP password if needed; Setup the NUS airport ID in a separate location and singnet settings for modem access.
- In Entourage, download email and respond to the prompts for passwords; and click "remember". Verify that the anti-spam software works by checking spam folder.
- Setup all the servers servers in Interarchy.
- Setup the NUS IMAP account in Thunderbird
- Change Text Edit preferences to plain text, large font default settings.
- Key in serial numbers for all applications.
Take my time
- Set file preferences accordingly when prompted.
- Copy over Desktop pictures from I, Robot and Nemo.
- Use Sonny from I, Robot for iChat icon.
- Instal other software as needed, e.g. VLC for viewing VCDs, latest Adobe Reader for viewing some pdfs.